10 Best Wine Decanter Reviews, Tips & Guides
Are you looking for the Best Wine Decanter for your house? Look no further! You may check out our lít for more details.
For serious wine lovers, some essential equipment will certainly make an appearance in their arsenal along with their wine collection.
It is common knowledge that the bouquet and flavor of a large number of wine bottles. This applies to both cheap and expensive wine bottles. Aerating wine is basically exposing your wine to oxygen to bring out the best tastes and aromas in your drink, especially to those bottles that have been closed for a significant amount of time.
Besides, it also helps to soften tannins and prevent sediment from reaching your glass. If you pour mature red wines directly into your glass, there is a high chance that you will end up with a mouthful of unpleasant sediment.
While most people will associate old red wine bottles with wine decanting, the truth is young bottles or white bottles with dull taste will also enjoy a flavor and aroma boost after a 15-minute aeration period. Wine decanters come in all shapes and sizes.
You can choose from a wide-based model to unique pieces of art with a one-of-a-kind form. We’ve put together ten trusty picks with stellar performance and elegant appearance. Take a look and pick out the best wine decanter for your precious wine collection.
We also include a brief buying guide and a section to answer all the common questions to help you pick out the best fit.
Top 10 Best Wine Decanter Reviews In 2022
1. Le Chateau Wine Decanter
- 🍇Taste Your Wine's Rich Natural Flavors: After being kept in an airtight bottle, your wine needs to breathe. Pouring into our wine carafe releases its natural aromas and flavors for better taste
- 🍇Maximum Aeration for Smooth, Crisp Wine: Our large wine decanter holds a standard 750ml bottle of wine. When poured, it reaches the widest diameter of the glass decanter for maximum aeration
- 🍇Stop Dreading Tough to Remove Red Wine Stains: Wine stains are a nightmare to clean, but with our crystal wine decanter's easy to pour slanted spout, wine spills and drips are eliminated
This fine-looking Le Chateau wine decanter ranks high on our list for good reasons. At first glance, you might wonder if the asymmetrical hand-blow spout serves any specific functions or just for aesthetic reasons.
Obviously, this unique design guarantees that users can easily and precisely pour out the wine, thus optimizing the aeration. Simply pour out a standard 750ml wine bottle, and you’ll notice the improvements in both the scents and taste of the liquid once the decanting process ends. This smart design serves to magnify the effects, and the result is a better glass of wine you can savor in the end.
Additionally, the slanted spout minimizes the spilling of wine while you’re pouring it out.
This wine decanter is not only aesthetically pleasing but also entirely lead-free. The lead-free material brightens your room, making it a great decorative element to the room design while still allowing you to enjoy the best glass of wine ever.
The base measures 8.5 inches wide, which is one of the biggest available. You’ll struggle to find any wine decanter that gives as much oxygen exposure to your wine as this unit.
Thanks to the sleek appearance, this wine decanter is a good talking point for you and your guests. Have a good conversation while sipping the finest flavor and aromas of your wine with this Le Chateau wine decanter.
- Lead-free material adds a nice touch to the room
- Asymmetrical spout for easy wine pouring
- Built with precision in mind to suit the pouring from a conventional 750ml wine bottle
- Some customers are unhappy with the quality management
2. Rabbit Super-Aerating Decanting System
- INNOVATIVE DESIGN: The Rabbit Wine Super Aerating Decanter provides fast and more enhanced aeration by breaking down and filtering the wine so it is instantly ready to be enjoyed
- SUPER AERATION: Turn a cheap bottle of wine into a delicacy! The super-fine screen filters out unwanted sediments, returning the wine to its natural, intended state
- PURIFIED WINE: The innovative system breaks red wine down into tiny droplets that cascade down the sides of the decanter, picking up oxygen that enhances both the flavor and aroma
If the price tag is not your concern, then this Rabbit Super-Aerating Decanting System could be the best wine decanter you can have. It’s quite a worthwhile investment, providing you the most effective approach to decanting your wine. What else you can get from this purchase? As Rabbit Store has a good reputation for quality products in the industry, there’s less chance that you’ll regret buying their wine decanter.
Here is how this wine decanter works: First, the wine will be broken down into smaller droplets by the Super aeration system. Then, they are channeled to the decanter’s sides. Following this step, oxygen is extracted, and the enhanced taste and scents are what you can expect when the process ends.
There is also a robust screen that serves to remove any unwanted impurities from the wine. Thanks to the system, you can transform the quality of a bottle in no time. A cheap wine bottle will have a better taste, whereas a good one will taste more amazingly. Give this wine decanter a shot, and you will know the magic of decantation and enjoy the enhanced flavor and scent.
If your budget permits and hand washing the unit doesn’t bother you that much, this wine decanter seems like a perfect choice. There’s literally nothing that can beat this Rabbit Store’s gem.
- Includes screen for filtration and spray funnel
- Feels heavy and solid in hand with the weight of 3 pounds
- The taste and bouquet are optimized as the system will turn the wine into small droplets.
- Hand wash is required
3. Riedel Cabernet Decanter
- Give your Cabernet room to breathe in the machine-blown crystal Cabernet decanter.
- Decant young wines several hours before they are served giving the wine a chance to bloom and decant old wines just a few moments before to ensure that the wines’ clarity and brilliance are not obscured by any deposit
- Beautiful gift item or perfect addition for your home bar collection
The next nominee is a wine decanter offered by Riedel. We are instantly captivated by the sleek, thin-walled design. As with several decanters on the market, this unit is made of crystal.
Apparently, it is not a rugged wine decanter to hold up to rough hands. However, if your top priority is the look, and you’re confident that you will always be careful while handling this unit, then this is the perfect fit.
We’re sure that you’ll get your money’s worth with this wine decanter. It helps to revitalize a cheap wine bottle so you can savor a better taste and aromas. On top of that, say goodbye to glasses of wine that are plagued by sediments as the system can filter all the unwanted impurities from your wine. All you need is to put aside a while to decant your wine.
The thin crystal thin walls add greatly highlights to your wine color. It will add more interest to the drinking experience as you and your guests can take a look at what is pouring out during the decantation.
The only quibble with this Riedel wine decanter is that only hand washing is required. Apart from this, the unit promises to meet all of your expectations from the best wine decanter, both for the look and the smart construction.
- Highly compact
- Fragile, sleek look
- Despite the unit being machine-washable, it’s safer to hand wash it
- Thin walls give more radiance to your wine
- Thin crystal walls render the wine decanter more fragile, so handle it with care.
4. WBSEos Wine Decanter
- Hand-blown-WBSEos decanter is made of 100% lead-free crystal glass. The round mouth is polished by laser cold cutting and multiple processes, without curling. With a capacity of 1500ML, it perfectly pours a bottle of standard size wine.
- U-shaped design-easy-to-dump oblique nozzle, avoid overflow and dripping through our specially designed inclined top. The curved oblique mouth ensures that your wine flows effortlessly from the water tank to the glass, allowing you to concentrate on pouring and drinking wine to achieve your inner taste.
- Suitable for all occasions-add elegance to your home bar-WBSEos' design adds undeniable elegance to your home bar and living room. Using it as an exquisite decoration or core decoration on the table will definitely leave a deep impression on your friends and your wine and food partners.
When it comes to the look, this WBSEos Wine Decanter will take some beating. At first glance, we would say that this wine decanter appears more like a one-of-a-kind art piece instead of something that you’ll utilize to boost your wine quality.
Like with many models made of delicate crystal, you should be extra careful while handling this wine decanter. The inherent characteristic of any glass type is that it isn’t sufficiently robust to withstand the rough hands or any major impacts. With this unit, it is advisable to be extra careful while decanting.
Obviously, the primary function of a wine decanter is to decant your wine for enhanced aroma and flavor. Most of the models on the market do an excellent job and this. Thus, appearance seems to play a crucial role in the decision-making process. When it comes to appearance, as mentioned above, this wine decanter from WBSEos is invincible.
In terms of size, this wine decanter can accommodate some standard 750ml bottles without any issues. For those who’re after a more affordable but powerful method to decant their wine, look no further.
All things considered, this pick could be the best wine decanter, especially for those with a tight budget.
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Fits several standard wine bottles as the capacity can reach up to 1500ml
- A limited lifetime guarantee gives your peace of mind while buying and using
- The fragile construction can be an issue if the unit is not handled with due care.
5. Menu Winebreather Decanter
- This elegantly designed carafe aerates your wine in one easy step.
- Simply press the decanter onto the top of an opened bottle of wine and flip it over so that the wine pours into the decanter.
- You can serve the wine from the decanter, or flip it back over once it's done and pour the aerated wine back into the bottle and serve from the original bottle.
For those who have never tried decanting wine before, a lengthy decanting process might be a deal-breaker. Fortunately, this elegant Menu wine decanter allows oxygen exposure to your wine in only one simple step. All you need to do is place the wine decanter on top of the wine bottle.
Once everything is in place, flip them over to let the wine cascade down the sides of the wine decanter. There are two ways you can enjoy the wine once the decanting finishes. You can choose to serve directly from the wine decanter. Alternatively, if you want more aeration for your wine, flip reverse the bottle once again so the wine can go back into the wine bottle and serve from there.
This design is specially engineered for aerating your wine considerably faster than many of its competitors, making it a worthwhile addition to any liquor cabinet.
Another nice perk of this carafe is that it looks extremely aesthetically pleasing. It will instantly fascinate anyone and easily become a talking point. Additionally, we noticed no spillage during decanting, which is not something that most wine decanters are still striving to achieve.
This wine decanter is ideal for dealing with young wine bottles. However, for old wine bottles with a considerable amount of sediment, inverting the wine bottle like this mix the sediment up with the wine.
To sum things up, if you lack an eye-catching, functional item on the dining table or home bar, this pick would be a great fit.
- Real eye-catcher
- Requires only one step to decant wine
- No spillage
- Suitable for young wines only
6. Sagaform Wine Decanter
- Mouthblown glass carafe in the classic design features a solid oak stopper that fits perfectly on top and adds beauty to your bar or table
- Perfect for any occasion and makes a great gift
- Enjoy your wine that will aerate perfectly in the functional bowl that allows it to breath; also great for any type of cold beverage
Another nominee for the best wine decanter is from Sagaform. The manufacturer sticks to the classic design and adds a solid oak stopper that sits neatly atop. This minimalist and sleek look will add a nice touch to any home bar or dining table. The unit is made of mouth-blown, crystal clear glass and also makes a perfect gift for any wine enthusiast.
In terms of performance, this wine decanter does a good job at aerating wine thanks to the wide base that allows a large surface of the wine to be exposed to oxygen. This sturdy decanter comes with a capacity of 67 ounces and a measurement of 7 3/4″ x 11″ (W x H). Additionally, it’s also lead-free and safe for you to toss in a dishwasher.
This carafe is made of fairly thin glass, but it’s sturdy and has a very attractive form. Plus, the wooden stopper holds up pretty well. However, it will slightly discolor if exposed to red wine for a while.
- Attractive and sturdy thin glass
- Ideal for gifting
- Comes with a solid wooden stopper
- Lead-free and machine-washable
- Stopper’s color might fade as a result of coming in contact with red wines
7. Simplified by Jess Wine Decanter
- ★ This crystal glass wine decanter is designed for all fragrant red wines, increasing the mixture of the wine with the air, allowing the aroma of the wine to fully distributing and separating the sediment from the wine. So this decanter for wine is best wine gift Christmas gift to wine lovers..
- ★ The glass wine carafe decanter is of 1200ml large capacity, holds nearly two standard bottles of red wine. Festivals are coming, so this glass decanter wine accessories will be a nice elegant decoration on the table or in the kitchen to family, lovers or friends.
- ★ The red wine carafe glass red wine decanter se with snail shape design will letting in more fresh air and bringing out the best of your wine, also offers a steady grip for easier pouring and cleaning. Is a nice wine aerator decanter, conforms to what people called wine aerating pourer, carafe for wine, wine decanters, wine carafes, wine pourer or crystal wine aerator pourer.
For anyone who prioritizes durability over other aspects, this could be the best wine decanter for them. There’s nothing more frustrating than purchasing wine decanter only to see it break into pieces only after a few uses. This creation from Simplified by Jess offers a good combination of affordability and a long lifespan. As the unit is made of high-grade crystal, it’s sure to stay with you for a decent period.
Unfortunately, several disgruntled customers have noted that there’s usually spillage while they are pouring the wine out. If you’re not a careful type and are more likely to experience this issue, we highly recommend considering other picks on our list that are easier to use. If spillage is not a great concern, then this can be the best wine decanter for your home.
Oftentimes, a thin crystal wall is easy to break down, which is not the case with this wine decanter. While the thin walls showcase your wine to your guests, they’re also solid enough to last a long time if you exert due care while using it.
One of the highlighted features of this wine decanter is its large capacity. It can hold up to two standard wine bottles, which is particularly helpful if your guests come over.
Looking for the best wine decanter at an affordable price? Then you can’t go wrong with this model. You’ll benefit from the stylish design as well as generous capacity while being backed by a reliable brand.
- Accommodates up to two wine bottles without any issues.
- Special engineering to optimize the oxygen exposure and streamline the pouring
- For such a price, a 2-year satisfaction policy is a huge perk
- Sleek design
- Some previous buyers reported frequent leakage while pouring the wine.
8. Godinger Dublin Wine Decanter
- Dublin Crystal Collection wine decanter carafe compliments any decor
- Brilliant and timeless design will impress for years to come
- Lead free crystal. Capacity: 750ml
If you want to get the best wine decanter and do not worry about the price tag, then this unit might be the way to go. This wine decanter effortlessly makes it to our list for its superior performance. Let’s take a look at why this unit worth your consideration.
The manufacturer uses 24 percent of high-grade crystal for building this wine decanter. Thanks to the material, this unit comes in a weight of 3 pounds. We are especially impressed by design. The carvings capture the light to bring out a magnificent effect, which helps to highlight the wine color in the decanter.
To optimize the lifespan of the unit, you’d better hand wash it instead of throwing it into the dishwasher.
For anyone with a deep pocket wanting to take wine drinking to the next level, this Godinger wine decanter would be a great addition to their home.
- Made of premium crystal
- Compatible with the Godinger Dublin line
- Eye-catching design with diamond cuts
- Despite being on the more expensive side, enticing discounts are often offered.
9. Vintorio Citadel Wine Decanter
- Timeless Design, Everlasting Brilliance - As a wine lover you need a decanter that is beautiful, practical, and durable, but a decanter is MORE than just an aerator or a decorative carafe… The Vintorio Citadel Wine Decanter is crafted for experts and enthusiasts alike and is guaranteed to make your wine experience exceptional
- Artisanally Blown Lead-free Crystal - We believe that decanters should be sturdy enough to stay with their masters for decades, and at the same time retain their luster and shine. That is why each Citadel Wine Decanter is individually hand blown with extra thick lead free crystal for maximum brilliance and durability
- Aerate Your Wine Thoroughly With a Swirl - The Vintorio Citadel Decanter has a wide 8.5-inch diameter base with an inner aerator groove or “punt” which allows for a more engaging and interactive decanting experience. Perfect for a standard 750 ml bottle of wine and also helps separate sediment. Freely swirl and slosh your wine around to fully bring out your wine’s rich aroma and taste
For some wine lovers, a wine decanter is not only a functional device to give air exposure to the wine. They also look for a good-looking item to be a centerpiece of the dining table or makes a great talking point. Hence, the wine decanter’s look is often high on their agenda to some people.
Vintorio knows the importance of appearance pretty well, and it offers some of the most attractive wine decanters for you to take your pick. This unit is a great example whose crystal walls capture the light to bring out captivating effects while decanting.
This wine decanter can comfortably hold up a regular bottle of 750ml. If this capacity still doesn’t meet your drinking needs, consider other larger wine decanter on our list.
Vintorio chooses the widely-used lead-free crystal for this wine decanter and silicone for the stopper. Another nice perk is that the unit is incredibly long-lasting. That said, it’s best to use the unit carefully, just like you would with any glass appliance. By doing this, you will likely benefit from many service years from such a powerful wine decanter.
We struggle to find any drawback with this wine decanter except for the fact that the stopper fits quite loosely. Despite this minor quibble, this is still the best wine decanter for your wine, and a trusty brand will back you.
- The crystal is hand-blown to give radiance to your wine
- Ideal for decanting a regular 750ml bottle
- Does a good job at filtering out sediment
- Solid construction
- We would appreciate it if the stopper fit more tightly.
10. Riedel Ultra Decanter
- Hand-made, fine crystal decanter in a classic design
- Capacity is 43 3/8 ounces and the height is 8 3/8 inches
- Beautiful gift item or perfect addition for your home bar collection
When it comes to high-quality glassware, Riedel is among the most reliable manufacturer. This Riedel Ultra wine decanter is one of its best creations.
Although this wine decanter’s design gives you an impression that it’s fragile, it’s fairly rugged to hold in hand. However, it’s advisable to hold the unit with extra care as you would with other glass decanters.
This model measures 8 3/8 inches in height and can hold 43 3/8 ounces of liquid. Thus, you will have generous space for your wine to breathe inside thoroughly. As a rule of thumb, the more surface of your wine is exposed to the oxygen, the more enhanced flavor and bouquet you will enjoy.
Although this wine decanter can be thrown into a dishwasher, it pays to wash it by hand. No worries, as this unit is pretty easy to wash, and there’s no need to risk your new equipment to the rough hand of a dishwasher.
If you have a deep pocket, then there’s no reason why you should miss this high-quality crystal wine decanter. With its superior durability, you can expect years of use for decanting your wine.
- Solid construction
- Maximum oxygen exposure for the optimal results
- Dishwasher-friendly, but hand washing is a safer option
- Quite large, so it can strain your wrists
When it comes to choosing the best wine decanter, it’s crucial to know what works best for the type of wine you’ll be aerating. The age of a bottle also matters as it often impacts the amount of time the bottle requires to be in the wine decanter. Thus, our buying guide will help you to make a more informed decision.
Some wine types might take a greater amount of time to decent than others. Take full-bodied red wines as an example. This type of wine contains astringent, and dry tannin, thus requires more time for decanting. A wide-based wine decanter will help you save a lot of time as it will maximize oxygen exposure to your wine.
Below is a guide on how to pick out the best wine decanter based on the types of wine.
- A wide-based wine decanter: For full-bodied reds such as Petite Sirah, Cabernet Sauvignon, Monastrell, etc.
- A medium wine decanter: For medium-bodied reds including Sangiovese, Merlot, Dolcetto, etc.
- Small wine decanter: For light-bodied reds like Beaujolais and Pinot Noir.
For rose or white wines, there is no need to decant. However, if you want to give it a shot, pour your wine into a chilled decanter to see the results.
There’s no hard and fast rule about choosing the best wine decanter, but it all comes down to personal preferences. All you need to do is find the one you’re comfortable with to pour out the wine, clean, and maintain. Beware that a wine decanter might be attractive but will be tricky to use.
Frequently Asked Questions
While picking out the best wine decanter seems like a less daunting task than other types of purchase, there are also many questions frequently asked around the decanting issue. Take a look at the section below and better understand using this type of equipment for various wine types.
1. How can I decant wine without a decanter?
There are a couple of methods to allow your wine to aerate properly for those who don’t have a wine decanter on hand. One cost-effective way is to utilize the food blender you already have to decant bottles of young reds. All you need to do is pour a wine bottle inside and mix it for around 30 seconds. Alternatively, pour your wine into a big glass and then swill it. However, the most effective alternative is to use a wine aerator, which serves the same purpose to decant your wine for enhanced flavor and taste. The last option is to pour your wine between pitchers to expose it to oxygen.
2. How long can you keep the wine in a wine decanter?
Typically, you will only need to decant your wine for around 30 minutes in a wine decanter. However, some red wines require around three hours for proper aeration.
3. Do I need to decant white wine?
White wine does not commonly need decanting. With some delicate types of white, you’ll risk ruining its taste and scents by decanting them. Nevertheless, some bottles of whites made in cool regions emit a musty scent. These bottles will taste better after decanting.
4. Does decanting wine filter out the sediment?
While a wine decanter does not necessarily filter all the undesired contaminants, you can easily spot them while pouring and stop them from coming into your glass of wine.
5. What wine needs the longest to breathe?
Some types of wine, such as vintage port or Madeira, require up to two hours for proper decanting. However, you can leave your wine alone in a wine decanter for several days if you want. You can rely on the age of a Madeira bottle to decide the amount of time it needs to decant. Commonly, you will need to allow it to breathe for 60 minutes per 10 years of age. If you have a pretty old Madeira bottle, we highly recommend putting it in the wine decanter for some weeks to get the best out of your old vintage.
6. Do all types of wines require decanting every time?
The answer is no. White wines are typically ideal for serving as soon as you take them out of the wine cooler. Most importantly, decanting might destroy these types of wine. On the other hand, most red wines are likely to taste considerably better after decanting. Leave your red wine around 30 minutes to interact with oxygen, and you’ll get the best out of them.
7. How do I know if a wine needs decanting?
You may want to taste your wine to know whether it needs decanting or not. While you can follow the best practice, you can go off the beaten track and personalize your wine slightly to suit your taste. At the end of the day, the way you like your wine to taste is all that matters. Simple carry out a taste test, decant your wine, then taste it and compare to the original version and come to a conclusion. However, it’s worth it to decant your red wines for at least half an hour, and you’ll get the finest taste out of the process.
8: How can a fix a closed red wine?
Decant your red wine two times can fix the dull aroma and taste. Decant the first time and then pour it back into the wine bottle. If you still notice the dull flavor and scent, make a second attempt to open up the closed the bouquet and taste.
9. What is the purpose of holding a lighter or match up to the bottle as you are pouring?
Holding a lighter while pouring helps you to spot and catch sediment more easily. People commonly believe that decanting wine helps remove any impurities from the wine, which is a misconception. Instead, it’s up to you to pour the wine slowly from the wine decanter to be able to identify any sediment present in the wine and prevent it from reaching your glass.
10. What can I do if I am still finding sediment in my wine glass?
If sediment somehow still makes its way to your glass, you may want to use some filters to have a sediment-free glass of wine. These filters are pretty similar to those you find in a French coffee press. Use them to block contaminants from intruding your glass; you can relax and sip a glass of wine without worrying about taking unpleasant sediments into your mouth. You can easily find these handy items online.
11. What makes a good wine decanter?
If your primary purpose is to aerate your wine, then we recommend looking around for a model with wide neck. They will let a greater amount of oxygen into the decanter, facilitating the decanting process. As a result, your wine will be aerated more rapidly and efficiently. Wide neck is also easy to clean, considering the fact that most glass wine decanters will stay longer if you hand wash. You’re not likely to struggle seeking the best wide-neck decanter as they are the most popular type on the market. They’re also among the favorite type among wine enthusiasts.
We’re confident that you’ve probably known all the purposes of using a wine decanter. Consider the size of the decanter you’ll need before taking the plunge. If you frequently drink no more than 750 ml, there’s no need to get from a medium- to large-sized decanter. Otherwise, look for a spacious option to conveniently serve your wine.
As most models do an excellent job at decanting your wine, the design will play an important role in your decision-making process. We’re pretty sure that once you get a reliable decanter for your wine, you’ll be asking yourself why you have to wait that long to get such a masterpiece.
Thanks for going through our review of the best wine decanters. It’s time to hit the store and pay for the right one to get the best out of your wine.
You can view more on YOUTUBE VIDEO