Top 10 Best Skinning Knives Reviews, Tips & Guides
Every hunter should know how important a skinning knife can be during the hunt. Having the best skinning knife will help you a lot in gutting and field dressing. The skinning knife can have either a folding blade or a fixed one. But regardless of the design, you have to make sure the blade is sharp enough so that it will perform well. This becomes exponentially important when you are trying to skin a deer. For this kind of tasks, a regular hunting will not be enough.
To the untrained eyes, a hunting knife and a skinning knife might look exactly the same, but in fact, they are a little bit different. The hunting knife offers a long and thick blade whereas the skinning knife packs a small and razor-sharp edge. In addition, the skinning knife is lighter than the hunting knife and features a special narrow tip or a gut hook.
Before jumping in and getting a skinning knife for yourself, you should know a little bit about it first. There are tons of knives for hunting and skinning on the market right now, and thus, choosing the best one out of the bunch is not an easy task. In this best skinning knife reviews, we want to introduce you to a few popular types of knives, namely folding, fixed blade, and gut hook, many of which do not require any sharpening at all!
In fact, the Outdoor Edge Razor-Lite Blade is a prime example. We pick this model because it is lightweight, portable, budget- and user-friendly. And more importantly, the knife is made for skinning. Having said that, there are other attractive models that might catch your eyes. So, let us begin, shall we?
1. Outdoor Edge
- NEVER SHARPEN YOUR KNIFE AGAIN – Change blades fast and easy! When a blade goes dull, simply push the lock release button in the handle to remove and insert a shaving-sharp new one.
- JAPANESE 420J2 STAINLESS STEEL REPLACEMENT BLADES – 3.5 inch Drop-Point blades are precisely heat-treated to ensure excellent edge retention then hand finished shaving sharp; Includes 6 blades total; Additional 3.5 inch Drop-Point blade packs sold separately.
- BLACK-OXIDE COATED BLADE HOLDER – Rigid 420J2 stainless steel blade holder supports the razor blade for the strength of a traditional knife and the sharpness of a surgeon’s scalpel; Dual thumb studs allow easy one-handed opening.
You will be surprised at how hard finding a deer gutting knife is! This task will be exponentially harder if you have never used a hunting knife before. Not to mention the fact that a lot of people do not know how to properly sharpen a hunting knife. So, how do you actually solve those problems? By getting a hunting knife that is both replaceable (meaning the blade itself is exchangeable), portable, and easy to use.
The replaceable folding hunting knife from the Outdoor Edge Company comes with 6 3.5-inch high-quality replaceable blades and either a 3-inch or 3.5-inch Razor-Lite EDC handle. In addition, the blades are incredibly sharp and thin, coming in at 0.6 mm thick. Furthermore, this deer gutting knife is made from Japanese premium 420J2 stainless steel, which is individually hand-finished to become extremely sharp and stain-free. With all these processes, you will never have to worry about the blade’s sharpness and performance.
Moreover, with the user-friendly folding design, the knife is both durable and portable, yet it does not sacrifice its cutting power at all. The fact that the Outdoor Edge blades are made from premium material makes them resistant to rust and corrosion, so cleaning is not a problem. After those heavy uses, with just a push of a button and no additional tools, you can easily replace the blade in a blink of an eye. All in all, this is the perfect knife for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, and many other outdoor activities.
Not only is this deer skinning hunting knife very lightweight and portable, but it is also super sturdy thanks to the inclusion of a Grivory handle with rubberized TPR inserts and integrated pocket clip. While the knife is classified specifically for skinning, it is still a great pocketknife, and can be used for many other regular jobs. The knife also comes in a variety of colors, sizes, and affordable price tags.
- Perfect for one-hand operation
- Comes with 6 premium blades
- Super lightweight
- Designed with a belt clip for better portability
- Easily replaceable with just a push of a button
- Made from Japanese 420J2 stainless steel
- Handle is made from double molded Grivory with rubberized TPR inserts
- The blades can get dull pretty fast
2. Buck 0103
- RAZOR SHARP BLADE - Extra Wide 4" 420HC Steel Blade has excellent strength, edge retention and corrosion resistance. Full Tang Construction with Integrated Finger Guard and Deep Choil make this knife an excellent choice for the serious hunter
- SKIN LIKE A PRO- The skinner blade is optimized for skinning game. The narrow tip and wide curved belly provide a smooth skinning sweep that aids getting through thick layers. The downward angled point helps prevent an accidental slice through the hide
- EXCLUSIVE, ELITE AND LUXURIOUS - Traditional Black Phenolic Handle has curves and palm swells for a comfortable sure grip. The Aluminum Pommel / Guard provide a perfect combination of beauty and balance. Overall Length 8-1/4", Weight 4.3 oz.
Different from most other knives on this list, the Buck 0103 is a fixed blade knife. Having said that, the Buck 0103 is no slouch, and it deserves a place on your shopping list. The knife is pretty strong and is considered one of the higher-end skinners.
The knife has a total length of 4 inches, featuring an extra wide 420HC razor-sharp steel blade. The blade packs the perfect combo of strength, rust and corrosion resistance, and edge retention. In addition, the full-tang Buck 0103’s durability is off the charts, capable of taking a lot of beating without the need of any sharpening.
The knife is certainly designed and crafted for a pro-level skinning game. In fact, this is the only knife you will ever need to skin a deer or elk. With the narrow tip construction and the widely curved belly, the knife is made to sweep through thick layers effortlessly.
Furthermore, the Buck 0103 comes with an excellent-looking handle, giving it quite a luxurious feel. The handle is available in two color options: black and wood. The curved handle features a palm swells that allows better grip and comfort. By the way, the knife comes with a sheath as well. Finally, in the fixed blade category, the Buck 0103 surely takes the lead.
- Comfortable phenolic handle
- Designed to slice through thick layers with ease
- Comes with a leather sheath
- American made
- Super affordable and extremely sharp
- Sheath is made from synthetic leather
3. Dexter-Russell 06123
- Model Number: SB12-6. Item Package Length: 13.299999986434", Item Package Width: 5.599999994288", Item Package Height: 1.799999998164"
- Sure grip textured handles, Protective finger guard and Hand honed to the ultimate edge
What you need in a skinning knife is its versatility. A versatile knife will help you skin almost any animal that you want. And the Dexter-Russell 06123 offers just that. In fact, the knife is highly rated for skinning processes. No matter what you are trying to skin, the knife will be able to perform well. From skinning trout to filleting fish, deer, chicken, or pig, you can count on this knife.
The Dexter-Russell 06123 will provide you with an easy operation thanks to the curved steel blade. This means that you will require little to no effort during the skinning procedure. The 6-inch blade is designed with individually ground and honed edge. In addition, this tough knife features a textured slip-resistant polypropylene handle, offering the most comfortable grip you can find in a skinning knife.
- Comfortable handle
- Tough and durable materials
- Perfect for any skinning purposes
- Easy to sharpen and clean
- Sturdy blade
- There have been some problems with quality control
4. Victorinox Lamb Skinning
- Country Of Origin : Switzerland
- The Package Height Of The Product Is 4 Inches
- The Package Length Of The Product Is 5 Inches
If you are in the butcher industry or just someone who enjoys cooking fresh meat, getting the best skinning knife is a good thing to do. The high-quality Victorinox Lamb Skinning knife is designed with durable material to give you a long-lasting experience.
The knife is equipped with an ergonomic handle that offers both comfort and control when it comes to skinning. The knife also brags about its hardness, and laser-tested cutting edge, ensuring the highest level of edge retention. To top it all off, the sturdy blade is available in different shapes as well.
- Works flawlessly when skinning deer, lamb, sheep, and other kinds of animals
- Textured handle that provides excellent grip
- Sturdy and compact design
- The knife is offered at a reasonable price tag
- Easy to sharpen
- Incredibly sharp
- A bit small for commercial work
5. KA-BAR BKR7
- Combat utility
- Category name: knives
- Made in USA or imported
For the perfect hunting experience and a sub 100 dollar price tag, look no further than the KA-BAR BKR7 compact utility knife. Coming in at an affordable price range, this beast of a knife is not only durable and long-lasting, but it also is quite a looker. The knife is suitable for many outdoor activities such as hunting, camping, and skinning.
This eye-catching black blade is made from 1095 Cor-Van steel that guarantees superior performance under any situation. Thanks to the super thin design, as well as a long clip-point shape and 20-degree angle edge, the blade of the knife is able to offer extremely sharp cuts that not even wood nor bamboo can stand a chance.
The KA-BAR BKR7 features a special handle that is made of glass-fiber-filled nylon, offering superior durability, and ensuring to fit perfectly in any large hand. Included with the knife is a high-quality Kydex nylon sheath, which help you store the knife safely and securely. Additionally, due to the lightweight and sturdy design, this utility knife is the perfect gift for soldiers and adventurers alike. While a few people might consider the KA-BAR BKR7 to be quite expensive, it is still one of the best bangs for your buck.
- Made from 1095 Cor-Van steel
- Nice looking black design with clip point shape
- Exceptional glass-fiber-filled nylon handle
- Sturdy and lightweight
- Includes a Kydex nylon sheath
- Might be expensive to some people
6. Gerber Vital 31-002736
- Highly visual, orange rubber handle is easy to spot plus grip.
- Replaceable razor blade is safely switched out w/ the push of a button.
- Larger finger choil plus width offer solid, comfortable grip
In the last 10 years, surgical blade knives have been becoming more and more popular. Unfortunately, most of them are very difficult to sharpen, and are not designed to be foldable and portable. However, this is not the case for the Gerber Vital folding knife.
The Gerber Vital is not considered a single blade folding knife. In fact, the knife is shipped with 6 replaceable blades that you can change any time you want. Coming in at 6.9 inches long, the knife features a 2.8-inch blade, excellent for cutting and skinning deer thanks to the EA technology. The knife is the perfect choice for those who find themselves struggling in knife sharpening.
The Gerber Vital folding knife comes with a brightly lit orange rubber handle, making it super noticeable. With such a highly visual color, you will never lose track of the knife. The handle of the knife offers a large finger choil with spacious width that brings forth a solid grip and comfort. With the smart Mash Exchange-A-Blade option, the Gerber Vital is the safest folding knife on the market today. Hunting season will not be as good without this modern hunting knife.
- The blades are surgically sharp and exchangeable
- Safety switch
- Highly visible orange rubber handle
- Finger choil with spacious width that provides solid grip and comfort
- Safe, lightweight, and portable
- Comes with 6 replaceable blades
- Not recommended for heavy-duty tasks
7. Mossberg All in One
- HUNTERS LOVE THIS KNIFE: The reviews are in and hunters agree this knife is an excellent choice when it comes to skinning game, especially deer.
- DURABLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT: This knife is lighter and shorter than many other hunting knives making it easier to handle. The included black Mossberg knife sheath is built to handle the demands of serious hunters.
- STAINLESS STEEL BLADE: The 3-1/2-inch blade is made from stainless steel, which is designed to be used several times without having to sharpen it after every use, and features an excellent gut hook. The blade also features an anti-glare finish.
For small- to medium-sized hunting games, the deer gut hook knife is perhaps one of the more popular skinning knives to choose from. Why you ask? It is because these gut hook knives offer some good features that are not available in other types of knives. While most of the time, you need a few additional tools or knives to perform gutting and skinning, you only need the Mossberg All in One knife itself to do all those tasks and then some.
At first glance, some might say the Mossberg All in One is quite short for a hunting knife, coming in at only 6 ¾ inches long with a 3-1/2-inch blade. However, to make up for the lack of length, the Mossberg All in One is a beautiful blade coated with an anti-glare finish. Made from premium stainless steel, the knife ensures that you will not need to sharpen it regularly.
It is true that the knife is shorter than most other models, but for that same reason, it can easily fit into anyone’s hand though not everyone can hold it comfortably with four fingers. The Mossberg All in One has a small handle that is held securely together with two screws. Such a design is simple yet very eye-catching. The knife features a finger hole for you to maximize your grip and thus, perform better. To top it off, the Mossberg All in One does come with a sheath for the ultimate safety and storage, as expected from a professional hunter knife.
Thanks to its high-quality build, the knife is an ideal choice for hunting purposes and will surely impress any hunter and enthusiast. If you are looking to get a gift for your hunter friends, you cannot really go wrong with the Mossberg All in One skinning knife. Regardless of the occasion, birthday or anniversary, this knife will be the perfect present for those who love hunting.
- Gut hook feature
- Maximize grip with a finger hole
- Small and lightweight
- Includes a Mossberg All in One knife sheath
- Handle can be small for some people
8. Havalon Piranta Z
- Our best selling knife is the perfect hunting companion for faster, easier skinning and field dressing of any kind of wild game
- Blaze orange handle is stain resistant with an easy-grip black rubber inlay, liner-lock construction and a pocket clip
- Includes 12 additional surgically-sharp replaceable #60A blades at 2.75" in length, ensuring you always have a superior blade in hand
Havalon is a household name when it comes to producing good-looking, high-quality folding knives, especially those made specifically for skinning and field dressing. Lots and lots of people find folding knives for skinning and gutting very attractive due to their portability; they can be carried around any where without the need of a sheath.
This amazing deer skinning knife comes with twelve 2 ¾-inch replaceable blades. Why would you spend for an old-fashioned hunting knife that needs regular sharpening, while you can get a new generation Havalon Piranta Z hunting knife whose blade is replaceable at any time. Obviously, the latter will make your life much easier!
The razor-sharp blades included with the Havalon Piranta Z are made from surgical-grade 60XT stainless steel, which will surely make skinning easier, not to mention if the blade gets dull, you can simply take it out and replace it with a new one. This kind of blades is the ideal choice for skinning and field dressing.
As for the orange handle of the Havalon Piranta Z, it is made from ABS plastic with rubber side panels. This design helps add more grip and comfort when holding the knife. The handle is a bit larger than most other models, coming in at 4.25 inches in length. However, it is still very much manageable for anyone. In addition, the handle offers multiple carrying options, from pocket clip to lanyard hole.
During the skinning process, you will not have to be worried about your safety because the knife is equipped with a Liner Lock Safety feature that prevents the blade from closing by itself. In addition, the thumb stud will make opening with one hand possible. If fully deployed, the knife can get up to 5 inches long which is the ideal length for those large scale skinning games.
The Havalon Piranta Z is very reliable and can be used for a long period of time without any complication. Thanks to the replaceable blades, every time the blade gets too dull, there is no sharpening required as you can easily swap the blade out for a brand new one. Due to this feature, no matter if you are a seasoned hunter or a newbie, the knife will never be too hard to use. In the end, the Havalon Piranta Z is a beautiful knife that is reasonably priced, making it a perfect gift for friends and family.
- Comfortable handle with rubber sided grip
- Beautiful and intuitive folding design
- No sharpening needed
- Surgical 60XT blade
- The pocket clip is not reversible
- Not ideal for left-handed users
9. Old Timer 152OT
- DIMENSIONS: 7.1 inch (18 cm) overall length with a blade length of 3.3 inches (8.4 cm) and a weight of 3.1 ounces
- DURABLE: Blade is made of reliable 7Cr17MoV High Carbon Stainless Steel with sawcut delrin handle slabs
- DEPENDABLE: Quick and easy access with the convenient brown, leather belt sheath making it ideal for everyday carry
To many people, Old Timer has long been a popular and trustworthy brand ever since its foundation back in 1904. The company offers a wide range of knife selections and among them, the full-tang, fixed-blade 152OT Sharpfinger Knife is one of the best choice for skinning. Thanks to its affordability, lightweight, high sharpness, and narrow tip, the knife is the ideal option for those who are into hunting and camping. Coming in at 7 inches long with a 3.3-inch wickedly sharp blade, the 3.1-ounce Old Timer 152OT is designed to provide the perfect balance.
The knife is made from 7Cr17MoV high carbon stainless steel, making it super durable and razor-sharp for even the toughest field dressing. In addition, with the small size saw cut, its handle will fit in any small hand perfectly. Moreover, due to the full-tang design and the nickel-plated compression rivets on the handle, the knife will not break apart easily. To ensure an even better grip and comfort, the handle itself is made to curve a bit.
If you are in the market for a budget-friendly skinning knife, the Old Timer should be the one to pick up. From serious hunting games to small outdoor chores, the knife can handle any task effortlessly. It also comes equipped with a chestnut brown fitted leather sheath to add in more protection.
Designed with safety and portability in mind, this small and lightweight knife is suitable for any kind of job, from big to small. With the proper maintenance, the Old Timer will be able to perform well for a long time, sometimes even longer than the more expensive knives.
- The fixed blade is perfect for fishing, hunting, and surviving
- Made from 7Cr17MoV high carbon stainless steel for ultimate durability
- Comes with a leather sheath
- Super durable handle
- Those with big hands might have trouble holding the knife
10. Klein Tools 44218
- This folding utility knife features a heavy-duty hawkbill blade that is easily replaceable to eliminate the need for sharpening
- Handle has rubberized grip and release lever for lockback mechanism
- Replaceable blade is held securely by a captive screw
If you have a thing for folding skinning knife and utility knife, the Klein Tools 44218 will be the perfect match for you. This is the definition of quality folding utility knife, especially made for deer and cable skinning. Are you worried that you do not know how to sharpen a knife properly? Well then stop, because the Klein Tools 44218 does offer some additional features that will relieve you from that burden.
In fact, the knife features a replaceable hawkbill blade made from 440A stainless steel. This means that, after prolonged usage and the blade gets dull, just change it out for a newer one then you can get back to work. As for the safety feature, the knife is equipped with a captive screw that will prevent the blade from popping out unless you want to open it yourself.
This professional folding knife comes with a rubber handle that ensures a comfortable feeling in the hand. Even when wet, the knife will not slip out of your hand. Furthermore, the knife includes a special Lockback system that will keep the blade open and not close up on you suddenly. There is also a thumb stud for one-handed opening, and a pocket clip for easy and secure carrying.
While this knife is specifically designed for cable skinning, it can also be used in small to medium hunting games. With the Klein Tools 44218, you will never have to worry about knife sharpening. Why would you spend hundreds of dollars for a knife when you can get an affordable cable and deer skinning tool such as this one?
- Best razor-sharp knife for various outdoor activities
- Replaceable blades (at 2 inches or 2.5 inches in length) that can be purchased separately
- Thumb stud is there for easy opening
- High portability thanks to the pocket clip
- Replaceable blades must be purchased separately
Types of Skinning Blades
There are many different types of skinning knives out there but among those, these three are the most popular ones: Fixed blade, folding blade, and gut hook.
Fixed blade: fixed blades are perhaps the most common knives for hunting and skinning on the market right now. This kind of blades are known to be super durable as well as versatile, and it can be applied to a wide variety of works. As a matter of fact, most professional hunters recommend fixed blades for those who have just got into hunting and such. Not only are they easy to clean, but fixed blades are also easy to sharpen. All in all, the fixed blades are the kind of knives to have for large hunting games.
Folding blade: if you are looking for a lightweight and compact skinning knife, then the folding blade is the one for you. Folding blades are easy to carry around and do not need an additional protective sheath. Some models of folding blades even offer changeable features and do not require any sharpening at all.
Gut hook: gut hook knives are special because they feature a hook that can be used to open the animal’s abdomen without the need of slicing its organs. Some gut hook knives offer a small finger hole for you to hang on to for maximum grip. However, this type of knives is typically hard to sharpen.
If you are planning to skin a deer, having a razor-sharp knife will help a lot. In this case, regular hunting knives will not perform well as they have a different type of blade and edge. To have the easiest time skinning an animal, you need a small and insanely sharp blade.
Without the correct tools, or in this case, blades, you will not be able to penetrate deep into the flesh of the animal. Thankfully, in this day and age, most field dressing and skinning knives are made from stainless steel and rust-resistant materials, making them super sharp and pointy. Some skinning knives even offer a special clip point blade while others feature a replaceable blade design that do not require sharpening.
Having a good handle can help you a lot in managing and operating the knife. The knife can be as sharp as a razor but without a good grip and balance, it is essentially unusable. Fortunately, most field dressing and skinning knives nowadays are always designed with good handle materials, from wood to plastic and rubber. While rubber handles usually offer the best grip, plastic and wooden ones are not that bad at all. Keep in mind that if the knife has a wooden handle, you should not expose the knife to water too much as moisture can damage the handle. In the end, whatever your decision may be, as long as you pick the best handle, you can stay comfortable using the knife and it will never slip out of your hand.
It is never a good idea to skin a deer using a large blade. If anything, skinning with a large knife is extremely difficult. In this case, having a smaller skinning knife is more beneficial. Small deer skinning knives can perform very well in any small or large scale hunting game. However, actually knife sizes can vary due to you and the type of animal you are trying to skin. For example, skinning a rabbit is an entirely different story in comparison with skinning a deer. But in general, skinning knives should be a little bit smaller than other hunting knives.
A sheath is not always required, especially if the knife is foldable. However, it is a crucial accessory to have in the case of a fixed blade knife since it can protect both you and the blade. There are many types of sheaths available of the market, such as leather, plastic, and Kydex. Among the three, Kydex sheath is the most eye-catching and durable. This is also probably why the sheath is so popular among knife users. As for the leather sheath, the material is quite susceptible under wet conditions. All in all, while a sheath is very useful in most cases, it is not mandatory to have one; it all depends on your personal preference!
If permitted, deer hunting is a fascinating hobby to pursue. However, without the best skinning knife, you really cannot experience this interest to the fullest. And it is not like you can use any knives for field dressing or gutting. So, make sure to put your precious field dressing knife in your backpack before your hunting trip. Hopefully, by now, you should have enough knowledge about skinning knives in general and will be able to select a suitable knife for skinning deer or any other animal. With any luck, we hope that the knife you choose will be on this list!
You can view more on YOUTUBE Video